If you ever lose heart and the earth seems as distant as stars fading into the noise of your busy mind, know this. That a tiny island exists in the blue hands of the ocean. That a tree grows upright into the salted clouds. That two eagles love each other enough to spend their lives greeting the morning sun together. That two eaglets stand in their nest, gazing at the heavens. Looking down to the forever ground. They eat and sleep and flap their wings. And one day in July, one by one, they will jump into the air. They will know the difference between existing and what is beyond. They will hold onto nothing. The hurricane will come, courage catching their pinions on fire, as they mount the wind, climbing ladders into realms of the invisible.


--T.L. Stokes






Sunday, May 15, 2011

Entanglement




Entanglement


I am here as the world is ending.
The dark rain sinks closer to my heart,
so heavy the night we just survived.
All that I know is this, that you,
my dark little beloved, are calling.
I am close, I am here. I will fight off
this unknown intruder, this unthinkable
cord that holds my child. I am fierce.
I am strong. I call to the heavens
and my ancestors. What is this that
holds her so? What is this I scream
in my distress. My lovely mate is near,
I drink in his steady guard, his strength.

I am here as the world is ending.
I gather up my offspring, my other two,
silent they hide their faces.
My wings will try to cover us all,
I will stay and be here. Shhhh.
I am here. My hungry love
still hunts for solution.
I search the skies. My eyes
gather the universe, come
to my aid. I will call
until I can call no more.
My voice will travel the currents,
reaching every dark, secluded space.
Every sun lit speck, every dot of
existence. It is a spear, an arrow
of blood and love and I will
continue to send it
until the world ends.

Here in this safe place,
a darkness creeps. I am quiet,
I will wait. Shhhh. I am here
now. We will fight until we cannot
fight any longer. We will love
until the moon comes down.
We will stay close,
I will warm you,
I will be here,
until the sun
and the moon
lay their heads
upon us.




for the eaglet Flyer
on the Sidney B.C. nest
who's foot was caught on a line of some kind



c2011 T.L.Stokes (all rights reserved)

2 comments:

  1. The right and perfect sink is necessary since this is a place in your home where you can handle a small get together or party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love your poems, Flood. You have a very wonderful gift....thank you so much for sharing.
    Love your blogspot, poems and pictures (((Hugs)))
    I am Skywatcher 4....on Hornby Eagles Chat

    ReplyDelete